I chose to look at
the review published in The Morning Call, written on the Alburtis Tavern. I chose
this review because my parents have recently gone there,
it is close to home, and I love food so it is definitely something of interest.
The review starts off stating their first observations when they arrived,
noting the amount of people at the tavern. Then the review goes into some facts
about the Alburtis tavern. These facts included when it opened, the previous establishment, the structure of the building, as well as many details about the
character of the building. Continued with
more details about the location and building, they speak of the theme of the
tavern and how it carries over to the menu items. The review includes many of
the entrees, what they ordered, including very descriptive statements. I noticed that many positive adjectives were used including “delicious," "perfect partner," and "light and luscious." The review also notes many of the prices, I’m assuming for readers to
get an idea of a price range. The review then goes on stating the owners including
facts about other restaurants they own and the success of them. The reviewer says, “It’s looking like they share one important
characteristic – success.” This statement being added in the review makes it quite obvious to
readers they this is defintely a good place to go. The review ends with the
address, hours, phone number, and other useful data about the new Alburtis
Tavern.
I
believe that this review was very useful and over all contains many of the
characteristics to a good review. To start the review was written right after it had
opened which is good because reviews are to cover places people haven’t gotten
to see or try yet. The writer does a very good job at balancing facts with
reactions. She included many facts that readers will want to know as well as an
overall opinion of the tavern. The review
also answered the question stated in the book. “Is this thing worth my time and
money”, which is exactly what readers what to know. The only thing that I did
question about this review was the use of the word “I” in the very beginning.
The writer used “I” twice in the first two sentences. Knowing that reviews
should be written in the third person I’m not sure if this could be considered
an exception. Overall I think this review was written very well. It gave me
exactly what I wanted to know in order to decide if this place is somewhere I would
like to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment